Adults, kids, elderly people – ask them what their favorite snack to munch and you will most likely get fries as the answer!
How about you? Do you belong to the fries’ lovers club? Well, I do!
Every time I order burger and sandwiches on my favorite fast food, it will never be complete without the legendary fries. What’s even great is that they are so convenient to have anywhere you want. From the mall, movie house, walking in the park, etc.
Anyway, have you tried cooking fries at your home? No? Then you should! This is the best way to be able to feast on your favorite fries to your heart’s content.
But this time, we won’t be doing your regular and boring fries – we are going to make waffle fries! Waffle fries would absolutely be the best snack during a big game night or to impress your friends during a backyard barbecue.
So without further ado, let’s checkout below how to make waffle fries.
First, let us take a look at the things you will need for this activity.
Things You Need to Prepare for Making Waffle Fries
1. Potatoes (Big sizes of potato are advisable for easy cutting).
2. Cooking Oil.
3. Seasonings and Other preferred flavorings.
1. Crinkle Cutter or a Slicer. But you can use any of your vegetable slicer that has the same feature.
2. Big Pot. Make sure that it would be big enough to fill with cooking oil that you will use for deep frying.
3. Food Thermometer. This is going to be very useful for checking the oil temperature so you can be sure to have the right texture and crispiness of your Waffle fries.
Steps in Making Waffle Fries
Step#1 Cut the Waffle Fries
· To begin, wash the Potato and peel its skin. Others prefer to keep the skin since there are a lot of vitamins and minerals found on the potato’s skin.
· Next, slice it using a crinkle cutter. Make sure to evenly cut the potatoes; it’s actually the number one secret on how to make waffle fries flawlessly. Just do your best to cut the potatoes into same sizes. Don’t worry, as you just keep on practicing; you will eventually achieve this perfectly.
While there are already a lot of crinkle cutter out in the market, below are the two most traditional slicers.
What’s great about his kind of slice is that it is usually multi-purpose as you can use it for slicing almost all kind of vegetables. If you prefer this kind of Slicer, I recommend you try to use this Mandoline Slicer. When using this slicer, all you have to do is put the potatoes on the cutting hat and slide it through the blade attached to its plastic frame.
However, evenly cutting the potato can be a bit tricky when using with this slicer compared to the first one mentioned above, but this will also give you the freedom to have your preferred thickness as well.
Step#2 Deep Fry the Waffle Fries
Cooking the Waffle fries through deep frying is the simplest and most common way of having your Waffle fries.
· First, fill the pot or the deep fryer with oil. Put it over the heat and wait until it reaches the temperature of about 325°F, use the food thermometer to check the heat.
If you are using a deep fryer, fill the basket with fries and put it in the fryer. For pot, carefully drop the Waffle fries batch by batch into the hot cooking oil.
· Let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn off the heat and carefully remove the Waffle fries from the oil. For a fryer, let it hang from the basket to drain the excess oil, while for a pot, you can use a strainer to remove the excess oil from the cooked fries.
- Cooking Tips:
*It is important to have the right temperature of the heating oil before you drop your Waffle fries to achieve the right texture and crispiness.
*Do not put too much fries in the fryer at the same time; crowding it will not cook the fries evenly.
*If you want to drain more of the excess oil from the cooked Waffle fries, you can lay it over a tissue paper as it will soak the oil from the fries.
SEE MORE: Two Other Ways of Cooking Waffle Fries
Step#3 Cool the Fries
Trust me you won't like a super-hot Waffle fries, so let it cool first by laying it on a towel or tissue paper placed on a tray or plate. Let it cool for a minute or until you can handle the heat.
Step#4 Add Flavourings to Your Waffle Fries
A little salt or even a plain Waffle fries for some people are good enough, but if you are adventurous enough to put a little twist on your snack, there are many ways you can do to add flavors to your Waffle fries.
One way of adding flavors to your fries is by mixing some powdered flavors to it. Flavors such as cheese, barbecue, and even teriyaki are just some of the flavors that go well with a Waffle fries.
Having a sauce by the side is another way of putting a different feeling on your Waffle fries, most people will put cheese sauce, ketchup or even mayo to top up their snack.
The last step, of course, is to enjoy your Waffle fries. Pairing it with your favorite sandwich and drink is a good choice, but you can always eat it alone as a to go snack.
Two Other Ways of Cooking Waffle Fries
Baked Waffle Fries
Do you know that there’s another way of cooking your waffle fries? Yes, you heard it right.
Aside from deep frying your Waffle fries it can also be baked.
Actually, most people find it much easier to make Waffle fries by baking it in the oven, as you only have to:
● Arrange the cut Waffle fries into a baking pan,
● Brush with a little bit of cooking oil,
● Put it in the oven and bake at 450°.
Just wait for 20 to 25 minutes then your Waffle fries is ready to enjoy.
Baked Waffle fries are also a great snack for people on a diet; since baking Waffle fries requires only a little amount of cooking oil, so it has fewer calories and low fat and cholesterol.
If you wish to add seasoning and cheese on top of it, simply mix it with the Waffle fries after baking, and bake for 2 to 3 minutes more to melt the cheese and for the Waffle fries to absorb the flavor better.
Ironed Waffle Fries
You can also cook your waffles fries through Waffle Iron; a cooking equipment design specifically for Waffle Fries. If you happen to have this at your home, this will, of course, your first option for cooking your Waffle fries.
Although cooking Waffle fries in a Waffle Iron is a bit different from the other two processes, it can also give you a different kind of Waffle fries.
To cook Waffle fries using your Waffle iron. Simply follow this Eight easy steps:
● To start with the process, preheat the Waffle iron to its maximum volume. Spray some non-stick cooking oil then leave it close while you prepare the Waffle fries.
● For this way of cooking Waffle fries, you are required to remove the skin of the potato. Wash the potato before and after peeling it.
● Unlike the first two ways, cooking Waffle fries in a Waffle iron does not require any crinkle cutter or slicer, but you will need a shredder instead. Shred the potatoes into thick shreds. It should look like a hash brown now.
● Next step is to melt two tablespoons of butter using a microwave oven. If you do not prefer to use butter, you can substitute margarine or olive oil with it.
● Mix the melted butter with the shredded potatoes, put some salt and pepper according to your taste buds. Mix well until the shredded potatoes are coated evenly with the melted butter and seasonings.
● Fill the spoon with the seasoned potatoes and carefully put it in the Waffle Iron. Using the same spoon, spread the potatoes and make a thin round layer. For most sizes of Waffle Iron, you should be able to make two thin layers of Waffle fries per batch.
● Close the Waffle Iron and let the Waffle fries cook until it reaches a golden brown color. Depending on your Waffle Iron but mostly, it can be cook within 5 to 6 minutes.
● After the first batch, cook the remaining seasoned potato in the same way.
Other Ways of Enjoying Your Waffle Fries
Waffle fries alone are already a great snack, but trying out other ways to level up your Waffle fries will be a good move.
Upgrading your Waffle fries using some other recipe is like a way most restaurants do to keep their customers satisfied. Food level up can be in the form of experimenting new discoveries or combining other ingredients that will match your favorite snack.
To give you an idea on how to improve your Waffle fries, here is some of the most popular Waffle fries recipes:
Waffle fries are undeniably one of the most irresistible foods for most of us. With its flexibility to go well with a lot of different foods, I may say Waffle fries will always be an all-time favorite snack.
In addition from being made from a healthy ingredient, which is the Potato, Waffle fries are also easy to cook and can be served with a broad range of styles. Having this kind of snack, which can be quickly brought and eat anywhere you want, is just one of the reason why most of us are choosing Waffle Fries.
Well, it has been a fun discussion with you. I do hope you enjoy this tutorial as well. If you do, please feel free to share this article with your friends and families. You can also leave a comment below for any feedback or comments you may have.